Frequently Asked Questions about working at AXIS
What are the job qualifications?
AXIS is an equal oppotunity / affirmative action employer and does not discriminate against or harass any employee or applicant for employment becuase of race, color, creed, religion, gender, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual preferece, or status with regard to public assistance.
You will need:
• High School Diploma or equivalency
• Prior education and/or experience working with persons with developmental disabilities is preferred.
• Valid driver's license and driving record which allows candidate to be insured. Current proof of insurance.
• Ability to lift up to 50 pounds, which includes lifting objects & lifting and transferring individuals.
• Ability to see and hear adequately to assure individual safety and to make needed assessments.
• Ability to sit, stand, stoop, bend, reach, twist, frequently and push/pull wheelchairs.
• Ability to meet acceptable attendance and schedule standards.
• Ability to pass criminal background screening.
• Documentation of freedom from tuberculosis.
• Ability to be certified in First Aid, CPR and Medication Administration
LANGUAGE/LITERACY SKILLS: Ability to read and interpret documents such as individual plans, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and policy/procedure manuals. Ability to write routine documentation entries and assessments using both manual and electronic means. Ability to speak the English language sufficiently to interact responsively with individuals and other members of the team.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply common sense understanding needed to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to assess problems and respond appropriately in a variety of situations according to approved AXIS, Inc. policies, procedures and guidelines.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION: The above requirements are necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable persons with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
What is the work like?
AXIS provides residential and in-home supports in small, integrated places including family homes, foster care settings, and small neighborhood group residential settings. The primary role of AXIS employees is to provide direct personal assistance to help individuals who experience intellectual or developmental delays, those who have physical disabilities or those with mental health or other conditions. The work involves direct, physical assistance (including intimate personal care) to help with activities of daily living such as bathing, grooming, eating, mobility, medication administration, etc. Staff implement individual program plans to teach developmental, behavior change, therapeutic and adaptive skills and adaptations. People go to jobs or day services during the day and pursue social and recreation activities in the community with the assistance of staff.
AXIS staff also contribute to establishing a welcoming home environment so cleaning, cooking and driving are all part of the job. Our programs suport both men and women in each home and staff are assigned to work with both genders. Our menus are established by a dietitian and staff are required to prepare and handle a variety of food.
The work is collaborative, nurses and direct support staff work as a team to assure positive outcomes and experiences for the people we serve.